Thursday, January 13, 2011

Baseball: The Tenth Inning (USA; Ken Burns & Lynn Novick, 2010)


 This film gave me goosebumps of joy and had me smiling through it all, even when shaking my head to Barry Bonds' cavalier yet sometimes accurate statements regarding baseball's drug issue, of which this necessary addition to Ken Burns Baseball series makes a serious focus on. But this is just a small part of this beautiful picture as we are transported back in recent time through game footage and still photographs of affirming moments of the game. Spotlights on Pedro Martinez and Ichiro start things up as we are guided through the last decade in baseball, reliving the moments which, high or low, have become legend. Going through the Bambino-curse-breaking World Series of 2004 was especially gratifying; and I'm not even from Boston. The Alou fan-interference missed catch was also poignant, making you wonder when those Cubs fan will finally get satisfaction (as did the late-senior hugging Manny Ramirez during the Red Sox parade did). Essentially, if you love baseball you'll love this movie. I think I'll watch it again... And maybe the rest of the series too.

2 comments:

  1. There was lots of stuff in there to roll your eyes at ("Baseball had learned its lesson" - oh please). Also, too many writers as talking heads and not enough players.

    At least there was Pedro with the best line, about innocence being beautiful. (In fact, Pedro more or less stole the show, and I would have loved to have seen more of him).

    And nobody actually comes out and calls Bud Selig a moron, which is just wrong.

    Oh well, despite all the things I could argue about, I was spellbound. So much great footage, so many memories conjured up. Ken Burns just knows how to make great documentaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with not having enough players talking. Their insights would've been valuable seeing as they are the ones dealing with the issue directly.

    ReplyDelete